John Shaw has more than twenty-five years of business experience, including twenty years serving corporate and private equity clients on over 300 buy-side and sell-side transactions in Transaction Advisory Services (buy-side and sell-side diligence and carve-outs), Restructuring & Business Reengineering, or Integration. John has served as either a consultant (Managing Director) at Big 4 (KPMG), international accounting firm (BDO) and national consulting firm (CMF Associates, a CBIZ, Inc. company) or as (Director, Acquisitions and Divestitures, Integration) at private equity backed companies, Ascensus, Inc. and HKA and Fortune 50 Company, Johnson and Johnson. Private equity clients include: Frontier Capital, Trivest Partners, GTCR, Haverford Capital, RFE Partners, LLR Partners, The Wicks Group, and Eli Global.
- Led over 300 transactions with revenue ranging from start-up to $50 billion across multiple sectors and countries with companies ranging from small to very large, from family to private equity owned to publicly listed, from local to multinational corporations. Significant experience in consumer and industrial products, textile, software, technology, health care, business services, pharmaceutical, life sciences, gaming, financial and retail sectors. International experience includes in-bound and out-bound investment to/from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, Europe, Japan and Asia Pacific regions.
- Led the financial diligence team for the acquisition of 32 nursing care facilities by Blue Mountain and Capital Funding Group. Project included critiquing the financial model with synergies, conversion of modified GAAP accounting to GAAP, determining working capital for the purchase and sale agreement, and determining the projected cash flows with Affordable Care Act impact.
- Served as long-term strategic consultant for a U.S. manufacturing company with 7 plants. Key initiatives included: Leading the strategic assessment of business segment financial and operational viability, developing and tracking key performance metrics including executive-level dashboards, and leading financial management as the interim controller. Developed division level and consolidated financial statements, management reports, and cash flow forecasts, as well as specialized financial information for private equity investors.
- Served in a strategic corporate head office role at Ascensus which provides technology enabled solutions to the retirement, education and health care market segments. Primarily focused on M&A (18 transactions) and integration. Deal values ranging from $3M to $68M and assessed a $600M public company transaction. Developed the M&A playbook, due diligence assessments included cash to accrual accounting, revenue recognition, performance improvement, quality of earnings, working capital, earnout calculations, and integration, synergy analysis tracking report for acquisitions aligned to management and shareholder’s objectives.
- Led divestiture of global $1.6B revenue diabetes unit, LifeScan Inc. to Platinum Equity Partners, closure of the diabetes research and development business, and sale of the diabetes pump business. Advised Johnson and Johnson senior executives on strategy and approach to selling and shutting down operations. Applied business acumen and knowledge in preparing financial analysis, due diligence, corporate development, transition services, and carve-out financial reporting.
- Integration of two global businesses, including managing day-to-day integration of 7 workstream areas such as operations, information technology, finance, human resources, and legal. Developed and executed routine communications and reporting structure for the Steering Committee, Board of Directors, and private equity owners. Established and monitored the $1.5 million integration budget without overages.
John has also performed several FP&A roles which included:
- Prepared and advised companies on the financial management of operational and strategic activities. Financial analysis included creating budgets, forecasts, operating unit level economics, pricing, costing, budget to actual results, synergy analysis tracking report for acquisitions aligned to management and shareholder’s objectives. Designed practices to improve performance, and developed and reviewed financial models used for the evaluation of capital investments, acquisitions/sales, and new business opportunities.
- For a globally traded power generation company, prepared and advised management on the 5 year projections analyzing historical results, backlog and third party studies reflecting the projected global turbine market.
- Performed financial due diligence of acquisitions. Financial analysis focused on projections, cash flows, customer and contract profitability, variances, working capital, synergies, and accounting. Advised on contracts related to the acquisitions, including pricing of post-close service level agreements. For integrated acquisitions, measured performance, synergy results, and earn-out achievement.
John is a CPA, who holds degrees from Drexel University, cum laude (B.S. Accountancy and Finance) and Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management (MBA Finance and Marketing).
- Pennsylvania and New Jersey Institutes of Certified Public Accountants
- St. Mary of the Lakes Church and School, Finance Council
- Knights of Columbus
- Kellogg School of Management Alumni Admissions Organization
- Drexel University Alumni Ambassador